LMS 1338 Genomics Research Assistant - Genomics Facility
Genomics Research Assistant
MRC Band 5 £30,227 – £31,930 pa inclusive
(Salary level dependent on qualifications and experience)
London W12, UK
The MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences is a leading International Research Institute at the Hammersmith Campus of Imperial College London. The LMS Genomics Facility carries out genomics research with investigators at the LMS and Imperial College, using next generation sequencing (Illumina HiSeq2500, Nextseq500 and MiSeq platforms), single-cell profiling (Chromium 10X Genomics), Nanopore sequencing (MinION/Flongle) and automated sample preparation (Mosquito HV).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and outstanding genomics scientist to join the facility and provide technical support and genomics services to a large user community for a wide range of research projects using NGS and single-cell technologies. The role is 100% lab based with no opportunity to work from home. The post is available from 1st December 2020.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Deliver a fast, efficient, high quality, cost-effective and tailor-made Illumina NGS and 10X single cell analysis service to the LMS research community. This includes experimental design advice, technical support and training, RNA and DNA sample QC, library preparation, operating and troubleshooting Illumina sequencers, data QC and data management.
• Maintain the Facility at the cutting edge of technology by anticipating and adapting to the fast moving field of genomics research and by working collaboratively with LMS research groups to help with the development and optimisation of new technologies.
Essential Technical Skills
• Proven laboratory experience in DNA and RNA library preparation for Illumina Sequencing.
• Proven laboratory experience of setting up Illumina sequencing runs on Miseq, Nextseq and Hiseq2500.
• Experience of customer liaison and working in a research support environment.
• Excellent communication skills and can-do attitude
Final appointment will be subject to pre-employment screening
This post is only open to UK/EU residents as MRC cannot apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship for this post under Tier 2 of the UK Border Agency’s Points Based System.