The LMS is a signatory to the Technician Commitment, a sector-wide initiative led by the Science Council and the Gatsby Foundation which aims to address the particular career challenges faced by technical and scientific support staff.
The commitment identifies four target areas to improve and safeguard vital technical skills. The pledge will ensure greater visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technical staff across all disciplines at the LMS.
Below are some of the initiatives we have already implemented since becoming a signatory in November 2019.
- Building a network of our Science Support staff
- Development of a Technician Exchange Scheme with other MRC institute – MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology and MRC Harwell
- Organisation of multiple events for Science Support staff
- Multiple LMS Technical staff being awarded their Professional Registration
- Ensuring the acknowledgement of science support staff in research publications and communications of that research