The MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences (LMS) has been based at the Hammersmith Hospital campus in West London since its creation in 1994. In 2017 the Medical Research Council and Imperial College London announced a joint project to build a new home for the MRC LMS on the former Cyclotron site.
The brief for the new building was to create approximately 12,000 meters squared of advanced research facilities in an environment which will provide a new home for the MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences and promote collaboration between all building users.
As we near the topping out of the building (expected Summer 2021) the contractors are turning their focus to the interior of the building. Work is progressing on transition plans for the move to the new building.
- In February 2017 Turner & Townsend were appointed as the Project Manager and Cost Manager for the project.
- In July 2017 a design team were appointed composed of Hawkins\Brown, Buro Happold and Abell Nepp.
- In August 2018 contractors were invited to bid for the construction of the building.
- In November 2018 the project team submitted the planning application for the building to the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. You can view the application here.
- In March 2019 Walter Lilly were appointed as the contractor for the project.
- In July 2019 the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham approved the planning application.
- In September 2019 the project received approval from the Greater London Authority.
- In October 2019 the Section 106 agreement with the Council was signed off.
- In March 2020 work began on the foundations for the new LMS building.
- Through 2020 modified working practices allowed work to continue on the construction of the LMS building during the coronavirus pandemic. By the end of 2020 the framework and concrete pours of the first 6 floors of the building had been created.
- In March 2021 an internal virtual town hall meeting was held and 360 renders of the new building developed by the architects were showcased.
Further updates about the building project will be posted to these pages.